Most people are not aware of this, but the Earth’s soil is the key to our prosperity.
87% of life on earth depends on soil. Humans are a part of this 87%
Soil takes in 3x the amount of carbon out of the atmosphere as plants. Healthy soil reduces climate crisis! Soil is the second-largest carbon sink on planet Earth.
90% of the water needed for agriculture comes from soil!
Soil purifies water and represents around 65% of the world's freshwater.
Soil keeps the air clean. Soil microbes have a proven ability to absorb air pollutants.
95% of our food comes from topsoil!!!
One teaspoon of soil contains more living organisms than there are people currently on the planet.
Because of the last 50-100 years of industrialised farming, soil is losing its organic content and turning to sand. 52% of the world's agricultural soil is already degraded.
Soil is the overlooked life force that we rely on to survive. For soil to lose its organic content and biodiversity is for food crisis to rise, water scarcity to plague us, loss of biodiversity to wreck the environment, climate change to rage, for many humans to lose their livelihoods and ability to feed their family, and for mass migration and conflict to ensue.
By 2035 - 2040 just one resulting problem of this is that humans will be able to grow 40% less food than we do now. By then, we will have a population of over 9 billion to feed. This is obviously a problem...
Saving soil is the easiest way to save the planet. It reduces climate crisis, ecological disaster, air pollution, and water scarcity... It also ensures we are properly fed....
So, become a part of the movement to SAVE SOIL! This a movement that is seriously needed for the future of humanity. Saving soil is something that is accessible and empowering to participate in. It is the place where you can truly make a change. Here are a few ways you can do this:
1. Sign this petition to Save Soil (incentivise soil regenerative agriculture) in New Zealand, and send it to your friends and family!
2. Where possible, buy and eat organic (our shop specialises in organic free-trade clothing). Non-organic means of production pollute and destroy soil health through the use of toxic chemicals. Organic resources support instead of degrade soil.
3. Watch the documentary “Kiss the ground” on Netflix or online at: Kiss the Ground | Soil Health Solutions | Join the Movement!
4. Visit Global Movement to Save Soil (consciousplanet.org) One of the Earth's most influential living spiritual teachers Sadhguru is currently pioneering a save soil movement. This website has amazing resources to help YOU make a real difference.
5. Compost! Compost! Compost! Reducing food waste and putting organic content (good food scraps) back into the Earth is amazing for soil health!
6. Eat a more plant-based diet. To learn more about how to do this, and the impact of the meat and dairy industry, watch the documentary Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret on Netflix. Eating more plant-based food is a massive step when it comes to supporting a more healthy environment.
7. Plant trees and take action against deforestation (which majorly contributes to soil erosion)! You can do things such as being conscious of your paper use, using the search engine Ecosia (which plants trees from you using the internet…for free here), purchase recycled or second-hand things, and donate to tree planting organisations!
8. Get involved with gardening and visit local farmers markets! Start conversations about soil health with farmers, friends, and family, and SPREAD THE WORD! Even covering any bare land you have with basic plant life like grass and wildflowers is amazing. Plants protect, nourish, and SAVE SOIL. Supporting planting and healthy farming is a great way to be a champion of soil health!
Often, it can feel like there are too many problems in the world to address if we look at them all. Soil however is a pillar of the world's health and prosperity. To save soil is to save life on Earth. It is to address multiple issues at once, and ensure the success of future generations!
Saving soil is something that we can do every day, in little ways and in big. We at The Flock encourage you to jump onto this growing movement that we too are an avid part of as an organic, ethical seller. Join with us, SAVE SOIL!!!
Written By: A J Leveridge
Statistics and science sourced May 2022 from Global Movement to Save Soil (consciousplanet.org) & Believe in yourself (@sadguru_vision) • Instagram photos and videos